Tuesday 14 September 2010

Whale-watching in Hervey Bay

Hervey Bay.. wow. Just.. wow.

Mitch's parents own a boat-tour company that does whale-watching in the bay, and for his birthday they let him take some mates out for the weekend in two of the boats. The water in the harbour was an absolutely stunning turquoise colour, and once we got out into deeper waters, the ocean was the most intense blue I've seen in my life. I'm not exaggerating! On the second day we sailed north in the hopes of catching a glimpse of some fins, and we must have seen at least 8 whales up close and personal - mothers and babies :) Mothers teaching their little ones to play - she'd start jumping and splashing, and the baby followed suit. Unbelievable. I do believe I had my finger glued to the shutter-button permanently for hours on end haha!

The evenings were spent around bonfires on Fraser Island, and the days were spent sprawled out on the deck enjoying that gorgeous sunshine.. When we finally got home on the Monday evening, I had taken almost 1000 pictures - no joke. And the greatest part of the whole thing was that a 3-day whale-watching trip on a boat with a guide can cost you about $300 - whereas we got the whole thing for the $20 we each chipped in to cover fuel costs ;)

Without a doubt the best weekend I've had since we got to Australia.. <3









No comments:

Post a Comment