Wednesday 15 September 2010

Laundromat musings

As I walked to the Laundromat today I was struck by a thought.. Back home in Sweden I would never leave the house in roughly the same state as I got out of bed. I wouldn't be caught dead in public without at least mascara. But here I am now, in trackpants, flip-flops, greasy hair and no makeup, walking down my street in the West End with a basket of dirty laundry - and somehow this doesn't bother me at all.

But I realised that there is a difference between Malmö and Brisbane. In Malmö, despite its population of only 300 000, once you leave your apartment, you are smack bang in the middle of the city. But in Brisbane, the West End somehow feels like a village - despite it only being a 5 min drive from the CBD of a city of over 2 million people. I have restaurants and shops directly across the road, but no high-rise buildings and crazy traffic like you do outside of your apartments in Malmö.

And that's not to say I like the one better than the other, because both are great in their own way.. But I must admit I do enjoy being a part of a little, peaceful community, despite the fact that I love living in a big, bustling city. It's like having the cake, and eating it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment